1 ib1  Thumbnail0
1 ib2  Thumbnail0
1 ib3  Thumbnail0
1 ib4  Thumbnail0
1 ib5  Thumbnail0
Join Now Forgot password?

Setting Up in Practice

Download the IDA Guide to Setting up in Practice

Dentists practising in Ireland are obliged to:


It is strongly recommended that dentists have the following insurance cover in place:

  • Public Liability Insurance 
  • Employer’s Liability Insurance 

 Requirements for Employees

  • Written Terms and Conditions for all employees within two months of commencement of employment and basic terms of employment withing five days (Pro forma Contracts of Employment for Dental Surgery Assistants are available in on request from IDA House)
  • Written Grievance, Disciplinary and Prevention of Bullying & Harrassment Policies (available in Employment Relations Section)
  • Written Safety Statement (the Health & Safety Authority has a tool where you can generate your own Safety Statement - http://www.besmart.ie/ Select ‘Dental Surgery’ to access the appropriate template.)

Other Issues to consider:

Your legal relationship with other dentists / contractors in the practice. 

Dentists are strongly advised to formalise their legal relationship with all contractors in the dental practice by entering into a written agreement. The written agreements helps to avoid any uncertainty in the event of a dispute. The IDA has pro forma Agreements that are available on request.

Registration of your Business Name (if trading under a name other than your own name). 

Registration of your business name (if different to your legal name) protects your rights to the use of the name. Registration of a business name is obligatory if any individual or partnership (whether composed of individuals or bodies corporate or any combination of both) or any body corporate carries on business under a name other than their own true names. Its purpose is to make public the identities of those individual(s), partnerships or corporate bodies being the legal entity behind the business name.

It costs €40 for paper filing and €20 for electronic filing with the Companies Registration Office. All the information and the forms to be completed are available on the CRO website

Taxation Issues

All self-employed persons are obliged to assess their own tax liability each year. Under the Self-Assessment system there is a common date for the payment of tax and filing of Tax Returns, i.e. 31 October. This system, which is known as "Pay and File" allows you to file your return and pay the balance of tax outstanding for the previous year at the same time. We recommend that you engage an Accountant to assist you with this task.

You should advise your Revenue District office when the source of income (other than PAYE income) commences. You can do this by completing Form TR1. This registration form is for Individuals/Sole Traders, Partnerships, Trusts and Unincorporated Bodies requiring to register for: Income Tax, Employers PAYE/PRSI, Relevant Contracts Tax. Dental services are exempt from VAT so therefore dentists are not obliged to register for VAT. 

When a self employed person registers with Revenue they will automatically become registered for PRSI purposes with the Department of Social Protection.

Once registered for tax purposes you should access the Revenue On-Line Service (ROS) and familiarize yourself with the many features of ROS as it is the most effective way for you as a Revenue customer to deal with your tax affairs.

Further information on self-assessment is available from the Revenue Commissioners

IDA Benefits / Affinity Schemes

The IDA has arranged a number of affinity schemes with a number of providers. To access these benefits, members have to quote their IDA membership number.